Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken Stew is a light chicken dinner full of Mediterranean flavor!
Hi Everyone, I’m Mary from That’s My Home. I am sharing a favorite recipe of mine for the Slow Cooker, a Mediterranean Chicken Stew. One of the things I love most about a Mediterranean diet is that it is full of vegetables. This recipe is the perfect summertime meal and it keeps the kitchen cool.
What I really like about this dish is that it has olives and lots of vegetables in it! I meant to put zucchini in it towards the end and totally forgot it. Feel free to add one if you desire about an hour before you plan to serve this.
How to make Mediterranean Stew:
You will need these ingredients:
- A whole chicken
- Baby onions
- Can diced tomatoes
- Baby Potatoes
- Red pepper
- Dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Chicken stock
- Green olives
- Cut the chicken into pieces and remove the skin, add to the slow cooker.
- Add the diced tomatoes, carrots, baby onion, potatoes and garlic to the slow cooker. Add the seasonings and stir.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or 6 on low. Mix the cornstarch and water, stir into the broth in the slow cooker. Add the green olives.
- Cook for 15 minutes more or until the sauce thickens.
At the last minute I decided we needed some French bread to go with that wonderful broth that had developed and just as I started to run to the store (actually drive) I looked at the clock and had just enough time to make some dinner rolls instead. They came out of the oven just as my friends arrived for dinner. These Soft French Dinner Rolls were perfect with the stew and fast to make too.
Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups carrot pieces
- 2 cups baby onions
- 10 - 12 baby potatoes
- 1/2 large red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 6 - 7 sprigs fresh
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup green olives cut in half
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- Cut the chicken into pieces. Remove the skin. Cut the thighs into 2 pieces and each breast half into 3 pieces. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add the diced tomatoes, carrots and onions to the slow cooker. Cut the potatoes into 2 pieces. Add to the slow cooker. Cut the garlic into slices and add to the slow cooker.
- Add the seasonings and chicken stock. Stir to mix everything up. Put the lid on the slow cooker.
- Cook on High for 4 hours or 6 hours on Low. Mix together the cornstarch and water. Add the olives. Stir into broth in the slow cooker, cook for 15 minutes on High. Serve with rice