These Slow Cooker Cheesy Cajun Pork Sandwiches are amazingly delicious! The sandwiches are warmed in the oven so the buns get toasty and the cheese gets melty.
Hi all! I love a good pork sandwich, but barbecue pork can be so boring, it seems to be on every restaurant menu. I made a delicious Cajun seasoned pork in my slow cooker. Then I took it to the next level by adding Sargento® Sliced Cheese on top of the pork, then wrapped the sandwiches in foil and warmed them in the oven. I start with a large pork shoulder that I brown on the stove top. I lay that on a bed of onions, then I add seasonings to flavor the pork Cajun style. I add a touch of Hickory liquid smoke, and a cup of chicken broth.
Sargento® cheese is 100% real natural cheese, unlike American single slices (Pasteurized Process Cheese Food) which are required to only have 51% real cheese in them. This real cheese goes so good with the pork.
This meal goes together so quickly after the pork has cooked. It is a great recipe if you work all-day or have busy weekends like we do. There are so many other great sliced cheese choices from Sargento®, which cheese would you chose for this meal?
After the sandwiches have been assembled I wrap them in foil.
As you can see these sandwiches turn out great with the help of the Sargento® 100% real cheese. I keep this sliced cheese on hand for my day to day needs, it goes great on a breakfast burrito, on a sandwich for my husbands lunch, or for a drool worthy dinner like this recipe.
I hope you try this recipe and use Sargento® sliced cheese, you will love the way it turns out. You can find more reasons why to choose real cheese here, and if you’de like you can follow Sargento® on Facebook, or Instagram.
- 3-4 lb. pork shoulder roast
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 small white onion sliced
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. oregano
- dash of celery salt
- 2 tsp. hickory liquid smoke
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- For serving
- 2 pkgs. Sargento® Cheese slices, I used Sharp Cheddar and Provolone
- 6-quart or larger
- In a large skillet set to medium-high heat, add the cooking oil. When the oil is hot, brown the pork shoulder on all sides.
- Add the onion down in the slow cooker. Add the browned pork on top of the onions.
- Sprinkle over the salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano,
- and celery salt.
- Add the liquid smoke, and chicken broth (or water) around the pork.
- Cover and cook on high for 7 hours or low for 10.
- When the cooking time is done, remove the pork on to a plate, shred with two forks and discard fat.
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Add meat to each bun bottom and top with the Sargento® Cheese, I use 2 slices per sandwich. Add the tops to the sandwiches. Wrap each sandwich in foil. Place the wrapped sandwiches on a cookie sheet. Place in oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese had melted and the bun is toasty. Serve and enjoy!